Welcome

The world is a funny place. Some of the strange, weird and funny stuff is captured here. Enjoy! Kim

Monday 12 September 2011

Mother of the Year Award

Someone I know once locked herself out of her house. Annoying at the best of times, but particularly bad when you’re locked outside and your small child is locked inside, all alone. She faced a dilemma: wait for the locksmith and try to sooth your distressed infant child through the window, or break the window and comfort your child with actual cuddles while you wait for the window guys. She opted for the former. Repairing the window was going to be more expensive than the locksmith.

She’s in the running for my version of the Mother of the Year Award. We all know about the great mothers who get everything right. We’ve read about them in fairytales. Occasionally, one of them gets an Order of Australia. In real life though, sometimes we just have to be practical.

I do ok as a mother. I adore my children and they know it. They are treated with the respect and consideration they deserve, and are afforded every opportunity I can provide. But I’m not perfect. Today is one of those days when one of my kids thinks I’m ruining her life. So, what is my crime?

At gymnastics recently, all the kids were graded and those with the ability to move up to the next level were invited to do so. My kid, I’m told, is one who has qualified to move up. Lovely. Thanks very much. At the moment, her gymnastics class goes from 4-5pm. The next level up is a two hour class and goes from 5-7pm. We are talking about a child who is in bed at 7pm. And she does piano, ballet and swimming on other days. She needs time to eat, bathe and, of course, play! Not to mention I have my own work and social schedule and she’s not an only child.

When I mentioned that I thought she was too young for a two hour class that finished so late, the instructor’s response was, “Oh, is she only five?” Hello? Would you like to check those details before you create chaos in my household? It wouldn’t have been a problem had they not told me of her great talents and abilities, right in front of her. They made such a fuss about the excitement of moving up to the next level that my daughter now feels her life depends on it.

I knew I wasn’t putting her into the higher class but I had to manage this controversy for ultimate domestic harmony. So I did what any self respecting Mother of the Year would do. I referred the matter to her father. Sorted.

Kim x

3 comments:

  1. Yup, let the Dad deal with it. Awesome solution. Janeane xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a theory, they will not be in therapy at 18 because you chose to only give them an hour Gymnnastics class instead of 2. And there will be no therapy at 18 because I (that mum....) chose to spend money on her childs swimming lessons rather than a new window. And there will be no therapy at 18 because we say no.
    However there will be therapy at 18 if we chose not to say no on many occasions. No means we care. xoxo
    Neet

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adhere to that theory completely Neet. I think we can pat ourselves on the back and be very happy with the job we do. We are loving and practical. PS the window story is absolutely one of my favourites! xx

    ReplyDelete